Friday, November 19, 2010

New Passion

Cooking!

I guess it all started back in May when my mom left for two weeks and I was left home alone to fend for myself and my culinary uselessness. In other words, I was forced to sit down and think about what I was going to cook for myself every night! So I spent many hours on FoodNetwork.com going over recipes of all sorts: low fat, minimal ingredients, low cooking time, weeknight dinners, etc. The first time I ever made myself spaghetti with Pomodoro sauce...let's just say it was definitely a proud moment. But eventually my mom came home and my new found love for the culinary arts lay dormant for the next few months.

Then randomly about two months ago, my mom kept bugging me to make this apple cobbler from one of our many cookbooks in the house- she told me it was super easy and it looked really good, to which I responded half-jokingly, "Well, why don't you do it then?" to which she responded, "I'm too tired and it'll be good for you to learn anyway". So I gave it a shot. What resulted was a bitter apple sauce mush type thing with a soggy topping. But I knew exactly what I had done wrong. So the next week I tested my theory and fixed any errors I had done the week before. What resulted was a tart, juicy apple filling with the most delicious, crunchy topping I had ever tasted. After that I was sold.

A short time later I tried a three berry cobbler I had seen Paula Deen making on her show that looked orgasmic. I made it a few days later and I'm glad to say it came out perfectly. Cooking (or baking rather) has become an addictive new hobby that I'm so anxious to explore now. I don't know what it is, I love tweaking recipes and adding my own twist, the act of making something out of nothing (again we go back to my obsession with creation). And I've learned so much already! What flavors go well with others, the base ingredients for any part of a meal, etc. I'm not an aficionado by any means and I know I just started, but I'm definitely eager to explore this.

I remember feeling this way when I really started getting into cinema. I started looking at movies in a completely different way, in terms of shot, lighting, composition, imagery and so on. And now that I'm getting into cooking, I find myself watching the Food Network constantly, not just to torture myself with how good everything looks, but to actually pick up tips and actually try the meals they're making. That's the best comparison I have so that you'll sort of understand...

...in any case, Thanksgiving is next week so you can imagine my excitement. I would make the entire dinner if I could, but I'm nowhere near that good and I don't have any time whatsoever, so I'm going to attempt to make one of my favorite desserts ever: pumpkin pie. I can't believe how easy it is, but there are lots of variations of the recipe so I'll have to choose one that's good. Still I can't wait because if I get it right, then I can make it any time I want to! Another great part about cooking is all the compliments. It is a definite ego boost :)

Anyhow, I'll let you know how that goes. For now I'll leave you with an amazing song. Goodbye and goodnight!

Song of the day: Exogenesis: Symphony Part III- Muse

Until next time,
Sary

1 comment:

Maria Barker said...

We always go to my Daughter's home for Thanksgiving, and bring something. This week I have been experimenting with home made bread, and tomorrow I will bake winter squash. We have started trying hard to cook for seasonally, which has led to more local foods. I have always been used to just cooking what I wanted to, when I wanted to. Lately, however, not shipping things thousands of miles for my convenience has started to become important to me. I just offered a small rant about cargo, and holidays, and family, on my site. I have very much enjoyed following you. Thanks!