Monday, September 22, 2008

tranquility

Sorry it's been a while. Ten whole days! To be honest I haven't really had any inspiration, but I'm feeling chatty tonight :)

Alors, qu'est-ce que je peux ecrire? Well I've had another small epiphany. I love those, don't you? Not the huge life-changing ones but the small ones that make you think, " Oh yeahhhh!" Just another example of how I think it's the little things in life that count. Anyways, being in Costa Rica has really helped me look at my life back in the states from an outside perspective, like I can see myself, looking into my life from the outside. And what I've realized is that (well I've known this first part for a while now) America is a superficial, consumer-driven, mindless country. I honestly think they are going to blow up the world in the near future, and if not, they will run the entire world straight to the ground. The times we are living right now is living proof of that. America sneezes, and the rest of the world catches pneumonia. America trips, and the rest of the world scrapes their knee. You get what I'm saying.

And because of this capital-seeking mentality, 99.9% of the people in America have no opinion about anything, no means to seek a life beyond their own meaningless one, no intention of connecting with the rest of the world. Everyone calls us the stupidest country in the world, well, because it's true. We are the biggest super power in the world, but the average American can't tell you the capital of Australia, or any other country. What does that say about our ethics? They are flawed.

The point I'm getting at is that America's lack of interest besides The Office, iPods, and fast cars has led me to realize the importance of meeting new people from different parts of the world. You can't really grow as a person unless you travel and meet other people from different cultures so that you can get an idea of the entire world of different lifestyles and ways of thinking besides your own. Knowledge really is power. And it's how you use that power from knowledge that you make a difference in peoples' lives and leave behind a legacy. You can't really know what you want or like until you've seen and tried everything. That's why I think meeting different people from all over is so cool, because you realize that there is an entire different way of living that you've never known. 

So sorry about my anti-patriotism here, I know I was born in America, and it's given me so much in the past 18 years, but if it doesn't overcome its egoism then the rest of the world will suffer, and that's something that affects us all. So yeah, moral of the story: travel, meet new people, appreciate the different worlds of nature, eat stuff you've never eaten before, learn a new language, make banana milkshakes, watch both of the star wars trilogies back to back, drive a Dodge Challenger with a 440 engine, stay up all night talking with your best friend, go TP-ing, scream at the top of your lungs.....

....at least once in your life. Next post I've been wanting to do for a while will be about music.

Song of the day: Heavenly Day- Patty Griffin

Until next time
Sary

No comments: