Friday, September 12, 2008

Where did that come from?

So I should REALLY be in bed right now. I have to get up in about 5 hours, but I was just about to hop into bed when I stumbled onto something pretty interesting. There is this AMAZING site I go to regularly where I can just express my opinion about the topic at hand, and we get into some really cool discussions sometimes. It's really a safe haven for me, besides this blog. So today the topic was death and I looked at the clock and it was about 1:20. Now usually, it takes me a really long time to figure out what I'm going to say, and even when I write it down I make a whole bunch of revisions. So I knew it would take me awhile to write out my thoughts, and I should have already been in bed, but I started to write anyway. Surprisingly, this was the fastest I had ever typed out what I was thinking. It only took me a few minutes. Anyways, I was pretty proud (and inspired, if I do say so myself) of what I wrote, so I thought I'd share it with you :)

" I have only really known one person who has passed away, and that was my grandmother, four years ago. At that moment it was so surreal, and I couldn’t believe, so much that it took me one week to actually cry.

Death is something that really scares me, partly because I don’t know what it will feel like, and what will happen afterwards, and partly because I am afraid that I possibly might not live my life to its fullest potential.

Over time, I’ve found myself thinking about death during long periods of time and what it all means, to the point where I scare myself out of my wits. But I think the only honest thing I can say about death is that it happens to everyone, it can happen at anytime. Some people die suddenly and within seconds, and for others its a long, painful, drawn out process. I think the only thing we can do, and something that I try do to personally, is not think about death and live in the moment.

I know we all hear this a lot, and I know it gets pretty repetitive, but we really must live life to the fullest. But more importantly, we must focus on the important things in life. At the end of the road, it won’t matter how much our annual income was, or how big our house was, or any other superficial aspects of life. To me, the consumer driven world is all bull. The people we are, the way our friends and family remember us, the legacy we leave behind: that’s what really matters in the end. And to me, that’s all I can hope to do, that is all I strive for.

So in the end, if my friends and family know just how much I really love them, or if I leave behind an idea or legacy that people can look up to, then I think I’ve done all I can do in my life….so by the time I die, I can look back and be pretty happy about my life."

Sorry it's so somber, but I actually think it's quite optimistic too. Anyways, I should really go now. Going to the beach house this weekend with the grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. It's gonna be so much fun! Hopefully it won't rain as much so we can go in the pool. 

And on another note, I've had THE BIGGEST......urge I guess recently, to sit in the sand at Huntington Beach with Chris and Casey and watch the sunset, with 405 playing in the background. If I could have one wish right now, that would be it.

Song of the day: 405 Acoustic- Death Cab for Cutie

Until next time

Sary

No comments: