Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Artist of the Week: Freddie Mercury

I've been in love with this man for quite some time now (yes, I know he was gay). I think we've all known about or at least heard of Queen since we were kids, it's hard to remember a time when I didn't. But it wasn't until I was about 17 when I really started getting into their music. More than anything, I was just completely taken by Freddie's voice. In my opinion, the best singer of any band in the 20th century, and I know that's a huge statement, but I really can't see anyone even measuring up to his talent. I think one of the best examples of his range is in "Who Wants to Live Forever", towards the middle of the song he just belts that line "and we can loooove forever!" haha I think it's an E5 but I'm not sure. In any case, an amazing singer with a range of like, 6 octaves I think.

To me however, there is something that surpasses even his voice: his ability as a performer. I'll make a bold statement again: the best performer of the 20th century. I think that statement might rattle people a bit more haha. "But Sarynelli, what about Michael Jackson?!" I'll be the first to tell you that Michael Jackson was the most talented and influential artist in the last 100 years. The songs that he wrote were indescribable, and granted he touched millions of people's lives. And on stage, he was a force to be reckoned with. But when Freddie got on stage, something magical happened. What I notice the most and what I love the most is the passion with which he sings. In every single performance you know he is giving it his all, like it were the last performance of his life. That, and the ability to connect with the audience; not only that, but encourage them and get them riled up! There was just so much energy bursting from him every time he got on stage. One of the best examples was when Queen did Live Aid, I think it must have been '85 or '86. It looked like there were 100,000 people there and he never showed one sign of being nervous. I think he thrived on it actually. The more people, the better the show.

In any case, when I see a concert or a band or artist performing, it takes a lot to captivate me. The difference between a good and an amazing performance is that a good performance keeps you entertained for however long a song is; an amazing performance leaves you awestruck and thinking "What the hell just happened there?". Not only that, but you keep thinking about it way after the song is over. Freddie is one of the few performers who does that to me every time. With his fist-pumping energy and his show stopping high notes, to me, there will never be another performer like Freddie Mercury.

Song of the day: Save Me- Queen

Until next time
Sary

No comments: