Saturday, July 31, 2010

Artist of the Week: Tim Buckley

When I first found out that Tim was Jeff's father, my brain freaking exploded. At the time, I only had one of his songs but immediately after finding out, I started digging deeper into his music. The reason why he's artist of the week is because I've downloaded about 5 more songs from him this week and they have all been on repeat ever since, so he's been present a lot in my life for the last 7 days.

Tim is considered a folk god in his secluded fan base. Not many people know about him (like father, like son) and every time I listen to him I ask myself, "Why the hell not?!" It could be the fact that his songs are not really mainstream, or that he chose not to be over-exposed when he was alive. Either way, you're in a different world when you're listening to one of his songs. Whenever I hear "Happy Time" I always envision myself driving down PCH with the windows down. It's definitely a great song for a soundtrack. But my favorite has got to be "Song to the Siren". I heard This Mortal Coil's cover of it first a while back, but had no idea that Tim had written it so many years ago. When I found out, I immediately went looking for the original, and was almost brought to tears. It is without a doubt, one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. And what's better, it's super easy to play on the guitar, once again proving my theory that the best songs are the simplest.

I can't help but compare Tim to his son (and Jeff said many times that he hated that) but it is pretty uncanny:
  • Both were musicians
  • Both were not hugely popular
  • Both became more famous after their deaths
  • Both died young
The list goes on and on really. But in terms of just Tim, he really was a folk legend, taken too soon and with so much more beautiful music to write.

Song of the day: Morning Glory- Tim Buckley

Until next time,
Sary

No comments: