Monday, August 30, 2010

Album of the Week: Teenage Dream

I remember back in 2008 when I really started getting into Katy Perry that I couldn't wait for another album to come out. Low and behold, 2 years later, we have "Teenage Dream". There are only about 5 tracks that are worth listening to for me, and it's not really up to par with "One of the Boys" in terms of content. But the few songs that are good on the album really make up for the rest of it. "California Gurls" was the first single and was an instant hit. It's super catchy, a great dance song, and features Snoop Dog who you can't really go wrong with. The best song off the album is "Teenage Dream". Like so many other songs, it takes me instantly back to California, driving at night with the windows down, and it just reminds me of being with my friends back in high school for some reason.

The album itself is really all over the place, with catchy, mainstream pop songs like the previous two, R&B and Hip Hop beats and synthesizers and melancholic ballads with just a piano. Some might consider this a good thing, as it demonstrates Perry's musical arsenal but to me, there was no real theme or definitive sound to the album. But, I did pick it for Album of the Week for a reason.

It's a good effort for her sophomore album, and although it wasn't as good as "One of the Boys", like I said, it does have a few songs that make up for the rest of it that you'll be singing and dancing to for days on end.

Song of the day: Teenage Dream- Katy Perry

Until next time
Sary

No comments: