Saturday, August 28, 2010

Movie of the Week: Inception

I saw this movie about 2 or 3 weeks ago and it completely exceeded every expectation I had. It was an amazing movie, admittedly not the best in the world, but it gets the highest honors in my book for being the most original, imaginative movie I've ever seen. The special effects weren't over the top which is pretty incredible considering the subject matter, but they give the movie just the right amount of surreality without overdoing it. The score by Hans Zimmer is impeccable as always and really takes on a life of its own, especially the last song in the movie which is beyond words. Solid and believable performances by most, amazing performances by DiCaprio, Page, and Cotillard. It was pretty much expected by Leo and Marion, who are two of my favorite actors, but Ellen outdid herself proving that Juno and the Academy Award nomination were not just a fluke.

There were funny coincidences about the film too, ones that would only be noticeable to an Academy Awards buff like me: Both Marion Cotillard and Ellen Page were nominated for best actress the same year, to which Marion won for "La Vie en Rose". That film is a biopic about the famous french singer, Edith Piaf; one of her most famous songs is "Je ne regrette rien", a song which is a very prominent and important factor in the film "Inception". Marion and Ellen are now in that very same film together...haha, I don't know, I just thought it was a funny little factoid.

Bottom line: Go see this movie. I'll be the first to admit, it really starts to pick up about 25 minutes in, and I didn't understand a lot of what was happening until the very end, but it is so worth it. If you want to take a peek into Christopher Nolan's imagination (which is beyond words) you should definitely check this out. I promise you, you'll be blown away by its originality.

Song of the day: Time- Hans Zimmer

Until next time
Sary

No comments: