Monday, August 09, 2010

Band of the Week: Best Coast

Not even the Beach Boys sounded this "California" or this "West Coast". If you want to be transported immediately to PCH, this is your band. Almost all of their songs have that hipster/indie feel with a generous amount of surfer pop thrown in; I know, hipster and pop are such a juxtaposition, but they make it work. Apart from their sound which is so addicting, they are great lyricists as well, and most girls can relate to atleast one of their songs. "Boyfriend" for example talks about a girl who wants this guy to be her boyfriend, but she can't tell him how she feels because he already has a girlfriend. The lyrics are so simple, but so effective:

"I wish he was my boyfriend
I wish he was my boyfriend
I'd love him to the very end but instead he's just a friend
I wish he was my boyfriend"

Usually when girls get all bitchy about not being able to be with a guy, underneath all the envy and bitterness, all we really want to say is quite simply, "I just wish he was my boyfriend!" Trust me, if you listen to the song, you'll know exactly where she is coming from.

All I can say is, if you want to know what the West Coast is all about in terms of attitude and music, you have to check this band out. They are everything that The Donnas should've done! I might add that there is one guy in the group, Bobb Bruno. Good for him!

Song of the day: Our Deal- Best Coast

Until next time,
Sary

No comments: