Monday, December 27, 2010

Christ, it's cold!

Quite a few things have happened since I last wrote so I will try to remember them all. Just a side-note first: there's this great guy who I'm subscribed to on Youtube and he always starts off his videos with describing the weather, and since the weather here is always the subject of my scrutiny, I think I'll start doing that from now on too.

So with that said, we've been bracing a cold front for the past week here. December is summer here, but lately it's been feeling as cold as Big Bear. It's just this constant gush of freezing wind, and I've been hiding out inside the house all week. I actually haven't been wanting to go out, which is weird because usually I'll find any excuse to leave the house. Hopefully it clears up tomorrow because I'm going to the Caribbean for New Year's and I want the weather to be Caribbean-esque.

Last week I also had a sort of late revelation. I was talking casually with my family about moving back home and what I'm going to do in terms of work, school, those types of things. My uncle was insistent that I should've been an architect. (He says this because of my community service credits where I had to design a school library which came out really well). I agree and say, "I know, I never knew how much I liked architecture until I had to do that project." Because of this conversation I spend the better half of the following week wanting to pursue a career in architecture and kicking myself in the butt for studying business administration instead of architecture when I got here. At this point, I'm feeling a strong sense of confusion. I'm really interested in being an architect, but will that put film and movie-making in jeopardy? Still I'm very curious so I start doing some research. Turns out, it takes 5 years to get your bachelors and a couple more years for a masters (which is obligatory). Almost immediately I forget about being an architect. Part of me is relieved but the other is really disappointed. I'm relieved because the decision is pretty much already made for me and I won't have to choose between architecture and film, I mean, there's no way I can go to school for seven years now. The other half is disappointed because I didn't realize this before; maybe if I was straight out of high school I might have had a chance to pursue this. I'm mostly disappointed because I wish I could have both. You know, everyone has been telling me that I'm young, I've got my whole life ahead of me, I can do whatever I want, but it's just not true. Sometimes you can't be everything you want to be and you have to choose between what you love the most. I guess I'm saddened by the fact that I will never know what it's like to be an architect, and that I slowly have to start letting that dream go.

I'm not a pessimist and I'm not a quitter. If anything, I'm the most optimistic person you'll ever meet so it's ironic now that I'm siding with reality and seeing things for what they are. I LOVE a challenge and who knows, maybe one day down the line, an opportunity might open up. Maybe I'll make a movie about architects one day. There. Problem solved.

Another thing that's happened since I last wrote is that I finally finished "Jitterbug Perfume". I read about 100 pages in the last sitting, I just couldn't put it down. I don't really know how to describe the book or describe how it made me feel afterwards. The only thing I can say is that it kind of reminded me of how I felt this first time I saw "American Beauty" which is not a bad thing at all. I remember watching the credits roll and sitting in the darkness of my room, staring at the T.V., trying to take in everything I had just seen and what it meant. That's kind of what happened when I finished the book. I just sat for the longest time and thought about my life. The book basically covers themes like love, immortality, religion, sex, death....pretty much everything you can think of in the most hilarious and creative ways. I mean I literally re-read paragraphs time and time again and thought to myself, "How did he DO that?!" Tom Robbins is a genius, I've come to realize. Anyway, he talks about a lot of things in an extravagant way, but what I got at the end of it was seize every moment and every opportunity, and you will achieve eternal life. Well, it's a little more complicated than that but that's the condensed version. It impacted me so deeply that for the first time in years, I want to make a New Years resolution. I haven't exactly articulated it yet, but I have the general idea. I'll let you know in a few days.

I almost forgot about Christmas! My favorite day of the entire year. It was definitely a lot more low-key this year, just my family, my grandparents and my uncle. I'm convinced that Costa Rica just doesn't have the chops to live up to the holiday spirit. I mean, people get really into it, but it's just not the same as back home. Still, it was nice to be with family. I think I could be in Egypt or Vietnam and my Christmas spirit still wouldn't be discouraged.

Other than that, I've been dwelling in my freedom once again, drawing, making music, reading (The Time Traveler's Wife), and BAKING. I made an apple pie for Christmas and a key lime pie last night. They were both delicious. I swear that cookbook we have is on par with "The Art of French Cooking" by Julia Child. It's officially a hobby of mine now and I love it. I've realized that it helps me out when I'm stressed. Most of my other hobbies I do for recreation, just for fun, but baking really chills me out. It's great.

So, I hope you had a wonderful holiday season. Only one more left and then it's back to facing the bitter reality that we'll have to wait another year to get into the holiday spirit. In any case, I hope life has treated you well. By the way, I can't believe I wrote this much! This might be one of my longest entries. To end things, I'll leave you with this beautiful piece I just discovered about two hours ago.

Song of the day: A Song for You- Leon Russell

Until next time
Sary

No comments: